Saturday, September 11, 2010

I'm a medical student!




My latest blog entry and the one I have been most excited to write.

Let me start with yesterday. We had our first dissection anatomy lab. We received our cadavers, met our dissection groups, and got to work. We began by turning the cadaver onto its stomach and doing a dissection of the back. We removed the skin from the back in rectangular sections then removed the superficial adipose tissue to expose the muscles underneath. This was amazing!!!!! I have always been in awe of the human body but this experience made me appreciate life on a complete different platform. In the middle of the lab I took a step back to take in what was going on. For the first time I felt like a true medical student. Here I was scalpel in hand doing the thing I have dreamed of doing for the last four years. Standing in lab surrounded by my peers who are all working towards the same goal made it feel real. I was momentarily overcome by the true depth of the journey I have undertaken. I have worked so hard for the past four years to reach this place in my education, so hard that I forgot to enjoy some steps along the way. I plan to enjoy all of the steps to come.

Today we had our white coat ceremony. The ceremony is done to welcome incoming medical students and prepare us for a career in medicine. The school did a great job with it giving us words of wisdom, encouragement, and promising to be with us every step of the way. The professors present us with our white coats, embroidered with our names and the school logo. We then sign the register and take a medical student pledge. It was an experience I wish I could have shared with my family and friends. I am so proud to be a part of this school and career choice.

After dissection lab, the white coat ceremony, and being completely exhausted I finally feel like a medical student! Wanted to share my exciting last couple of days with you!

love and miss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment